Written by Kait Scalisi, MPH, Director of Education and Training, My Secret Luxury
During the trainings I lead with healthcare providers and public health professionals, I start and end my sessions with one question: “Is pleasure a part of health?” Throughout the training, I repeat the question while exploring it from a health perspective. As you probably aren’t surprised to learn, the answer is: YES!
A Prescription for Pleasure
Pleasure already lives at the core of many health messages you’ve probably heard. For example:
- Hate exercise? Find an activity that you love to do!
- Trying to eat healthier? Slow down and savor your food.
- Want to feel happier? Do the things that feel good.
We couldn’t separate pleasure from health if we tried!
Sex is No Different
Most people make decisions about sex based on the answer to one question: will it feel good?
This pattern actually starts as early as middle school! When deciding to have sex, tweens and teens think about how it will feel, what their friends will think, and whether they will get away with it. It's probably no surprise to you that this pattern continues through college, adulthood, and beyond. In fact, worrying about decreased pleasure is one of the top reasons people say they choose not to use a condom. As a fun side fact, people who use condoms have the same levels of sexual satisfaction as those who don’t.
Pleasure is also the answer.
- Using personal lubricant (my favorites are Uberlube Silicone Lubricant and Sliquid Sassy Water Based Lubricant) with a condom not only decreases the risk that the condom will tear, it helps the sex feel better for everyone involved.
- For people struggling to get aroused or have an orgasm, focusing on pleasure rather than the threat of no pleasure, is one step to getting what you desire.
Shop for high quality personal lubricants here.
3 Ways to Add More Pleasure to Your Life
If you ignore the power of pleasure, you may miss out on opportunities to make healthier decisions. The good news is that adding pleasure, sexual or otherwise, to your everyday life isn’t that hard! Here are 3 ideas:
- Invest in a high quality adult sex toy and sex accessories or host a sex toy Soiree.
- Do something sensual everyday.
- Plan a big grand gesture. Maybe it's a surprise party, overdue vacation, or even a day binge-watching your favorite shows.
Shop for high quality adult sex toys here.
When You Feel Good, Everything is Easier
Whatever you do, don’t dismiss pleasure. Your happiness and joy directly impact how you feel and live. Adding more pleasure to your daily life helps you decrease stress, appreciate the good things in your life, and have better sex and stronger relationships.