Personal lubricants are essential. Whether you are alone or with a partner, they are needed to help you get closer, connect and stay longer. Learn why you need lubricant and how to choose the right personal lubricant for you.
Why do you need to use personal lubricants?
Most of the time, our bodies produce enough natural lubricant to be comfortable everyday. However, if you are having sex or using toys, you may need more than what nature provides, especially if you are experiencing hormonal changes, on medications or experiencing stress.
If you are using toys, it’s always smart to use personal lubricant. Toys tend to dry up as they are exposed to air, making for uncomfortable re-entry.
For anal sex, keep in mind that the anus produces no moisture of its own, so it’s always wise to use anal lubricant with anal play.
In case you are concerned, using personal lubricant is not a sign of a broken body or a failed libido. Instead it’s the most normal thing in the world.
Do you need to use personal lubricant if you produce a lot of vaginal moisture?
You still might want to use lubricant because it adds sensation to the moisture.
Should you buy what your friend recommends?
Just because your friend recommends a particular type or brand of lubricant, it doesn’t mean that it will work for you. It is normal for people to have different physical reactions to things and be turned on in different ways. Find what works best for you!
Hopefully, you now understand why personal lubricant is so important to use. The next step is to choose your base.
- The first ingredient is water or aloe
- Feels cool on the skin and may get sticky after a while
- Slippery but it also tends to dry up - can be reactivated by adding water or saliva
- Most common type used with vaginal intercourse, anal intercourse, oral sex, and masturbation
- Offers the most variety: flavors, warming, and stimulating
- Washes from the body quickly
- Does not stain (unless color is added)
- Compatible with all toys
- Compatible with any kind of condom
- A small amount of silicone can be added (which produces a white or creamy lubricant) - feels slippery not sticky yet is still thin, while leaving the skin silky smooth when dry
- Always slippery but never feels sticky or tacky
- A little goes a long way & creates long lasting glide (and lasts longer than water based lubricants)
- Doesn’t dry out and excellent for water play
- Compatible with latex, rubber, glass & plastic
- Do not use with Silicone Toys (it breaks down the silicone of the toy and may start to smell)
- Can be used with vaginal intercourse, anal intercourse, and masturbation
- Can be used for body massage
- High quality lubricants (with only 2-3 ingredients) are inert and won’t change a woman's pH level, i.e. no threat of yeast infections.
- May leave oily residue on sheets but it washes away with soap & water
- Good as a daily moisturizer
- Slick & doesn’t dry out easily - only need a small amount
- Can be used with masturbation or vaginal intercourse
- Limited risk of irritation or yeast infections if they are made with all natural ingredients; however, if not washed off after use, it may clog pores and leave unwanted residue that can harbor bacteria and yeast
- Safe for all types of sex toys
- Never use with rubber or latex
- Stains and can be difficult to wash off
- Not recommended for anal play because bacteria thrives in oil
Once you have chosen your base, now you need to decide what variety you want:
- Flavored - Designed to enhance oral sex
- Glycerin-free - Glycerin mimics sugar, which causes yeast infections or irritation
- Paraben-free - Parabens are a common preservative that can be irritable to some women
- Stimulating or warming - Goes on cool and warms with friction; Designed to increase sensation for both partners; Contains active ingredients like menthol or pepper that increases blood flood and awakens nerve endings
- Repairing - Contains ingredients, such as carrageenan, that heals and repairs vaginal tissue, soothes and relieves vaginal dryness and adds more moisture
- Anal - Thicker lubricant that stays on the skin longer providing a more comfortable feeling by reducing friction & sensation
- Women's - Thinner lubricant where you feel more sensation without friction; Perfect as a “kick starter” until her own moisture takes over
Still not sure which lube is right for you?
Please contact us at 888-959-3357 or email us. We are happy to help!